Since 1937, when the State Planning Board published the first statewide water plan, the State Water Commission has been dedicated to developing and maintaining plans for water resource development.
North Dakota’s most recent effort, the 2017 North Dakota State Water Development Report was completed in January 2017.
The purpose of the 2017 North Dakota State Water Development Report is to:
- Outline the planning process;
- Provide a progress report on the state’s priority water management and development efforts from the 2015-2017 biennium;
- Provide information regarding North Dakota’s current and future water development project funding needs and priorities;
- Provide information regarding North Dakota’s revenue sources for water development;
- Serve as a formal request for funding from the Resources Trust Fund;
- Outline the state’s priority water development efforts for the 2017-2019 biennium; and
- Provide information regarding the State Water Commission’s Cost-share Policy, and the agency’s Water Project Prioritization Guidance.
In biennia when full water plans are not developed, Water Development Reports are completed and published to serve as updates and supplements to the most recently completed full water plan.
Printed copies of the 2015 North Dakota State Water Plan are available by request at (701) 328-4989, or e-mail.